I had 4 one on one smartphone help desk appointments. It makes me happy to have people let me teach them ... I always learn something in the process and that's my real goal!
1. Husband and wife came together, he had questions about Android notifications, she thought she knew more than both of us and just confused him, on her phone, she could shake for flashlight, his didn't have that feature.
2. The next couple came separately, she had and iphone and was thrilled to learn how Live Photos of waterfalls can be turned into a soft long-exposure. I also showed her how to search for all of her waterfall photos
3. Her husband had a Samsung phone and wanted to learn about google photos, editing, crop to rule of thirds, pop, also how to scan documents with Google Drive.
4. Next was a Samsung phone, and an old iPad. Google assistant on the Samsung. On the iPad, he wanted to get FaceTime to work. It would not accept password. Went thru forgot password, all worked again. And, I showed him how to add an Android user to a Facetime call.
I'm going to pat my own back here and tell you how good I am. There are definitely people who have more depth of knowledge in given topics than me, but I challenge you to find anyone who has the breadth of knowledge about personal use of smartphones and technology as I do. Even if there is someone else with that knowledge, I doubt that they are the natural born teacher that I am. I don't grab their phone and start pushing buttons. I make them do the things I tell them to do. I also do much more listening than I do talking. I'm not telling them about all the right and wrong ways of doing things , I'm listening to what they want to do and then just telling them what to try. As they tap the buttons I try to explain why I'm having them do those things. If it doesn't work, I teach them that this is the way it works. You try one thing, if that doesn't work you try something else. You also search for answers using google.
How can I do this when we're not going to rallies? Online is ok, but it's not as good.
No comments:
Post a Comment