Friday, October 17, 2025

Residential Cruising with Pollyanna and the Grouch

 We live in a very unique situation - a residential cruise ship, one of only 2 in the world. I happen to love it, but I know it's not for everyone. Whether or not you would like it depends on your point of view and your attitude. I find it fascinating that 2 people could be in the same situation and see things so differently, so I asked Gemini to write a story: Write a short story about Pollyanna and the grouch. They are two people on board this residential cruise ship. Pollyanna loves everything about the life aboard and the grouch complains about everything. The food, the itinerary, the cost, the other people, the activities, the beer and wine. It's all good to Pollyanna and she plans to happily live here for many years to come. The grouch has had enough and he can't wait to disembark in just a few weeks.

The following is 100% written by Gemini A.I. - it's purely for fun:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ocean air, crisp and tasting of salt and distant lands, was Pollyanna’s favorite cologne. She inhaled deeply, a contented sigh escaping her lips as she watched the endless expanse of the Atlantic from her private balcony. “Oh, isn’t it just divine, Mr. Henderson?” she chirped, turning to the figure slumped in the deck chair next to her.

Mr. Henderson, known to most as ‘The Grouch,’ grunted. “Divine? It’s a bit breezy, isn’t it? And I’m sure it's just exhaust fumes from the engines, not ‘distant lands.’ Don't get me started on the cost of this balcony, too. Daylight robbery.”

Pollyanna merely smiled, her eyes twinkling. “But think of the adventures we’ve had! Just this morning, the sunrise was an absolute masterpiece. All those oranges and pinks painting the sky!”

“More like a traffic accident in the clouds,” Mr. Henderson muttered, adjusting his worn baseball cap. “And the breakfast buffet was a shambles. The eggs were lukewarm, the bacon was limp, and don't even get me started on that coffee. Tasted like bilge water.”

“Oh, I thought the eggs were perfectly fluffy!” Pollyanna countered, her enthusiasm unwavering. “And the little pastries! Such a treat. I even saw Captain Petrov out there, greeting everyone with such warmth.”

“Warmth? The man’s perpetually sweating, probably from the stress of keeping this floating coffin afloat,” Mr. Henderson scoffed. “And the itinerary! Another port of call where all they sell are tacky souvenirs and overpriced postcards. I swear, they could have just sailed in circles and saved us all the disappointment.”

“But the local crafts are so charming, and the people are always so welcoming!” Pollyanna exclaimed. “And last night’s jazz band! Weren’t they just marvelous? Such talent.”

“More like a caterwauling of amateur hour,” The Grouch grumbled. “The drummer was off-beat, the saxophone player sounded like a dying walrus, and the singer… well, the less said about her attempts at ‘My Way,’ the better. And the cost of that second glass of Chardonnay! Outrageous.”

Pollyanna chose to ignore the wine commentary. “I just love all the activities! The bridge club, the art classes, even the shuffleboard tournaments are such fun. Everyone is so friendly.”

“Friendly? They’re just after your bingo winnings,” Mr. Henderson retorted, pushing himself up with a groan. “And don't even talk about the bingo. Rigged, I tell you. All rigged. I’ve had enough of this floating prison, Pollyanna. Just a few more weeks, and I’m off. Back to solid ground, proper food, and people who don’t sing off-key at every opportunity.” He shuffled towards his cabin, muttering about the quality of the ship’s beer.

Pollyanna watched him go, a soft smile gracing her lips. She understood Mr. Henderson’s perspective, or at least, she tried to. But for her, every creak of the ship, every wave that splashed against the hull, every lukewarm egg and slightly off-key note was part of a grand, beautiful symphony. She imagined many more years of sunrises and shuffleboard, of slightly flat beer and eternally charming captains. This was her home, and she wouldn’t have it any other way.


No comments: