Saturday, January 17, 2026

Papeete Tahiti

Due to weather and other considerations our itinerary changed to give us 3 more days in Papeete, Tahiti. The speakers corner I was supposed to give tonight had accordingly been postponed for a few days. So I am footloose and fancy free in Papeete. We didn't feel energetic enough to find an excursion, but we did get off the ship and just walk around. 


Jim found a dive shop where we were able to get a replacement pressure gauge to replace the one on my scuba regulator that broke. The gauge has a scale for both PSI (used in N America) and BAR used everwhere else, like metric. I love it! Since I dive all over the world, I'll be conversant in both measurements. 


I'm starting to use a travel app called PolarSteps and it always indicates what country we're in. Currently it tells us we are in France. This is French Polynesia, I expect it to be more Polynesian than French, and as a remote tourist destination I expect an abundance of English. Nope, not here. We are in France! They speak French here pretty exclusively. There are baskets of baguettes in every little store. 


Our Google Fi cellular data service is hit or miss. That is very odd. Usually it works or it doesn't. Here it works on one block and not the next. Jim's is better than mine even though we're on the same plan with the same service. He has a Pixel 9 pro, mine is a Samsung S25 Ultra. 🤔
We sauntered over to the marketplace. I would like a little dress but they all seem to be big and long. Sure are pretty though. Jim saw a sign for beer upstairs, off we go. We're hot and thirsty. Then I'll look for a dress. 


Oops it seems to be closing time. Dress shops pulling everything in and closing the doors. It's 3:30? 🤔
This place reminds me of an upstairs food court, I think in new York City. 
We may not be taking many cultural tours or go to museums but I still feel like we learn a lot just by being here. I love travel.

No comments: