It’s been exactly one year since we moved our lives onto the Villa Vie Odyssey. We have been living the dream and loving it. We've met so many new friends and we've visited some of the most beautiful and interesting places on the planet. We so enjoy the life of luxury where all our meals are prepared, our cabin is cleaned, our laundry is done - without us needing to lift a finger - and it's all included in one reasonable monthly fee. We don't have to plan any travels, no airplanes, no hotels, no packing and unpacking. We just wake up in our own beds and look out the window to see where we are today.
But as I’ve learned this year, while the scenery is great, the internal navigation takes practice. There’s no manual for turning a five-star "vacation" ship into a "forever" home. To keep the journey smooth, I’ve had to recalibrate my internal compass.
The FOMO Filter
The majority of the 350 residents on board participate in chat groups set up in WhatsApp. It's a great way for us all to stay connected, but it does get busy. The chats include a constant stream of "Spectacular!" and "Check out this photo!"
“That hike to the waterfall in Bora Bora was breathtaking.”
“We just finished a traditional tea ceremony in Kyoto.”
“Don't miss the Tarsiers at the nature reserve!”
The FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) is real. We didn't do the tea ceremony. We didn't see the tiny monkeys. Why? Because I have to sit at my computer. I have a blog to write, the Geeks On Tour website to manage, newsletters to ship, and videos to make. I'm not being forced to do any of that mind you, it's what I love. Geeks on Tour has been our business since 2004 and we still make a little bit of money at it, but we want to do it because it's who we are.
I’ve had to learn a new mental skill: reading those messages and saying, "I love hearing about all that," rather than "I'm missing out on that." I’ve traded the waterfall for the keyboard so that this lifestyle remains sustainable. Their photos are almost as good as being there—right?
The "Non-Stop Rally"
People think "Sea Days" (when we are in transit between ports) are quiet. They aren't! In fact, they are often busier than port days because that’s when the community comes alive. Meetings, classes, rehearsals, and meals! Lots of meals with lots of friends.
Back when we were full-time RVers, we loved attending RV Rallies—weeks full of seminars, parties, and reunions. But when the rally was over, everyone drove their bedrooms in different directions and went back to "normal" life. Living on the Odyssey is like a non-stop RV rally. Take a look at just one of our recent Sea Days:
Chris: Line dancing, Women with Wanderlust luncheon, and a Jeopardy skit rehearsal.
Jim: Skit rehearsals a poetry reading recording, and tech management (visuals/light/sound) for a full length play.
Both: Ship safety drills, presentation by the Chief Engineer about the ship, and dinner with friends.
Where is the time to pay bills or answer emails? The challenge is adjusting our mindset to realize that just because there is a party, doesn't mean we have to be at it.
The Buffet and the Bathrobe
The physical adjustments are the funniest. Having every meal prepared is easy to get used to; learning not to eat like it’s a holiday every day is the hard part!
Then there’s the "Public Life" shift. In a house or an RV, you can spend all day in a ratty t-shirt with messy hair. On the ship, the moment you leave your cabin, you are in public. I never thought I’d see the day where I’d put on earrings just to go get breakfast—yet, here we are!
The Art of Doing Nothing
One year in, I’ve realized that the most important thing I need to do is... nothing. In a lifestyle that offers 24/7 stimulation and global exploration, choosing to sit still is the most difficult mental adjustment of all.
We aren't on a year-long vacation; we are living our lives at sea. And sometimes, the best way to navigate that life is to go to your room and shut the door. I really like our cabin. As much as I love the real world, I also love my online world. Sitting at my computer, joining Zoom calls, writing, watching others' videos. That's as nourishing to me as hiking to a waterfall. I need both. We've set up our room to be very comfortable for one or both of us to be there. We can both be at our computers, or we can take a nap, or we can just stare out the window and watch the waves go by.
The New Equation: Play/Life Balance
We’ve all heard of Work/Life balance, but on the Odyssey, I’ve had to invent a new metric: Play/Life balance. When your backyard is a rotating gallery of the world’s wonders and your "living room" is a hub of constant social activity, "Play" becomes the default setting. It’s a wonderful "problem" to have, but it’s still a challenge. If I spent every day playing, the Geeks on Tour website would gather digital dust, the bills wouldn't get paid, and I’d eventually burn out from too much of a good thing.
Recalibrating for the long haul means realizing that:
"Life" is the quiet morning coffee, the focused work hours, and the zoom calls with stateside friends and colleagues.
"Play" is the Bali tubing, the line dancing, and the late-night dinners with friends.
Finding that balance is how we ensure this isn't just a one-year experiment, but a sustainable way to live for many years to come. I’m learning that it’s okay to say "no" to the play so that I can say "yes" to the life.
No comments:
Post a Comment