Saturday, April 26, 2014

Escape to Fantasy

image
I have been a fan of Ashleigh Brilliant since college days and the title above has been my guiding light!  It took me a while (51 years), but I found my Fantasy in the RV Lifestyle.
For the last 3 weeks, I’ve had way too much of the truth.  The truth of growing older, the truth of how Alzheimers steals our loved ones from us, the truth of taking care of our parents, and finally the truth of getting sick with bronchitis and still needing to get work done.  I say we ‘escaped’ because the only way to leave Mom is to not say goodbye.  She really doesn’t remember if she saw me this morning, or not for months, but if I tell her I’m leaving – she’ll get very upset.  So, I have to just give her a hug, tell her I love her and walk away saying “I’ll see you tomorrow.”  I’m confident it’s best for her, but it just kills me.
Now we’re back on the road and living our fantasy.  We woke up this morning to peace and quiet and the delightful singing of birds, punctuated with an occasional ringing of the Carrillon bells from the nearby tower here at Stephen Foster State Park.

I’m feeling better already, sinuses are clearing up and the cough is minimal.  Jim is just the best partner in this fantasy of ours, I’ve simply checked out for the last three weeks, while he cooked, drove, answered emails, and kept up with all the daily details of our life.  I have a lot of catch-up work to do.  My ‘weekly’ Picasa tip hasn’t been written in 3 weeks! and it’s now time for our monthly newsletter too!  Quarterly tax return bookkeeping must be done too.  But, somewhere during today, we are going to make time to enjoy this delightful place and visit the Stephen Foster museum, maybe take a walk or a bike ride.  No chance of going kayaking on the Suwanee river though, it is flooded beyond all recognition and boat ramps are closed.
We’re on our way to Lebanon, TN and the FMCA International Area Rally.  We’ll be presenting our “Technology for Travelers” and “Picasa and Picasa Web Albums” seminars there.  Hope to see some of you there.

3 comments:

Bill Osborne said...

Godspeed Chris Guld. It's OK!!

Colleen Phipps said...

Alzheimer's is often way harder on the family and friends than it is on the person who has it at least after it gets worse. I think you are doing the best thing for your Mom. It's comforting that she still knows you.

Aaron Grey said...

Hi, Nice site I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing. Would you please consider a link to my website on your page. Please email me back. Thanks!

Aaron Grey
aarongrey112 at gmail.com