Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Starting a new Podcast

 What's a podcast? Well, the term has changed over the years. Apple made the iPod in the early 2000's. It's main purpose was to play your music collection. The device advertised that you could have 1,000 songs in your pocket. Then people came up with the idea of recording people talking, like radio talk shows and recording them like 'songs.' "Podcasts" was born.

Fast forward to the YouTube era and podcasts could also be video. We started doing our live YouTube show "What Does This Button Do?" in 2014. Now, 9 years later, we have 260 episodes and YouTube suggested that we use their new classification of Podcast for it. On our YouTube channel, you'll see a menu item for Podcast and the only thing there is our Button show.


We're doing pretty well with our Youtube channel - just passed 10,000 subscribers! And, we're actually earning a few hundred dollars a month. It's got our attention. We won a review on YouTube Channel Reviews and they had lots to say - some good, and lots of suggestions for improvement. We took it to heart and made lots of changes - like the new banner art. It's really fun to have this outlet for our creativity and learning.
Meanwhile, we also told Tech for Seniors that they need a photo segment in their show and I'd be happy to do it. They said yes. We needed to come up with a name for it, I wanted it to be catchy, but friendly and I turned to my trusted sidekick - ChatGPT, Bard etc. to come up with something. Instead of asking it for a title for a segment of another show, I decided the best word to use to describe what I wanted was a title for a "podcast." We weren't really doing a podcast, but it's kind of like a podcast? It was a regular segment on a particular topic delivered every other week. As we continued tweaking a title, I decided I kinda liked the idea of making a podcast! We have one podcast listed on our YouTube channel, why not 2?
So, we produce the 10 minute video for Tech for Senior, they use it on their Monday show, then we can repurpose it and post it on our YouTube channel maybe a week later and call it a podcast.

Fun with Photos

A Podcast from Geeks on Tour. 10 minute episodes answering your questions about taking, making, keeping, and sharing your lifetime of photos.
  1. How can I fix my dark photos?
  2. What is the best way to take Fireworks photos?
Those are the 2 we've done so far, we're waiting for a third before we create the podcast. My 3d topic is scanning old photos. I figure I'll show just snapping photos of old photos, using my phone, using Google's PhotoScan app, and maybe a minute on that cool Photomyne app that can capture a whole page of an old photo album at once. Lo and Behold, I look at Google Photos where it links out to PhotoScan and there's Photomyne as well. COOL! My main objection to photomyne in the past was tht it was dificult to get the results into Google Photos. Now, it's automatic! I will definitely use that! And, I never would have known about it if I hadn't taken it upon myself to do more teaching!

I Love my work!
I Love my life?





No comments: