Sunday, March 17, 2024

Local Diving - and Lobster

 Our dive club - UnderSea Adventurers, USA Dive Club for short, plans local dives usually twice each month. We took advantage this week and joined 6 other club members to go out on a dive to the Abby 2 reef, and one other whose name I don't remember.

I belong to the 80-80 club of scuba diving. This means I only like to dive when both the air temperature and the water is 80 degrees or more. This is still winter - March - so the water was 75 degrees. hmmm. But, it looked like a beautiful day - 84 degrees air temperature - and Jim wanted to go diving while it's still lobster season - August 6 - March 31. 

On the "Parrot Island" dive boat - going out the Hillsboro Inlet at Lighthouse Point

It was chilly, but it was a nice dive. Jim got one lobster on each of the 2 dives. He hoped for more, but that's still worthwhile. 

I posted the above photo on facebook with the words - Goin' Divin' with my favorite dive buddy. Who am I kidding? He's not my favorite dive buddy - he's my only dive buddy! Who else would 

  • make sure I had air tanks that were full, 
  • gather all my gear together and put it in the car. 
  • Get the gear from the car to the boat
  • Assemble my gear
  • Watch out for me underwater
  • Gather all the gear after the dive and get it back in the car
  • Wash it all when we get home
  • Put it away?
Who? Nobody, nohow - he's the best!

Oh yea - and catch some lobster for dinner!

Actually, this is a photo from another time. We rarely eat lobster the same day he catches them. We're pretty wiped out from the dive, and he's found that they come free from the shell much better after being frozen. We love having a freezer full of lobster!


No comments: