Monday, March 25, 2024

Good Show - Personal Best, Episode 273

There's nothing like a deadline to get things done! That's what our live YouTube show is for me. We've been doing it for so many years now that I have muscle memory for what it takes to put a show together. 
First, the topic
I need to come up with a topic by Friday morning and hopefully have a sketch of the outline. It's good if I can have the review questions written before I go to bed Friday night - start with the end in mind. If I know what I want people to know at the end, it's easier to put the lesson plan together. 
Then the materials and the learning
Saturday is a work day - find if I have  any existing videos that teach what I want. If not, then I need to record at least one. I really like the combination of live presentation with recorded segments. Then Sunday is putting finishing touches on the slide show and practicing the timing. 
This week I came up with the topic early Monday, perhaps too early because that allowed time for doubts to arise before Friday. The topic was google slides. Not a normal topic for us because our audience doesn't normally make presentations. But I just discovered some new AI features that I thought would e cool to show, and google slides is a good way to use photos in a slideshow with features that google photos doesn't have. 
While thinking about it Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday - I realized how much I didn't know about google slides, so I started learning. Hold on! I seem to be in process of building a class that could go for several hours here! No. Should I change topics? No. My point is that google slides is for other things, not just presentations. Let's stick to that. But I have to show a little of the basics. Ok, my outline is
Google slides basics
Use an extension for google photos slide show
Using new AI for creating a picture
Now it's Saturday, pressure is mounting. I need to make at least one video. I spend hours and I don't like the result 🙁 
I didn't have anything done on time, but it still came off perfectly
Sunday morning I got nothing! But the show must go on. I focus on my end result and crank out 2 new videos
I write the review questions. I come up with an idea for Jim to show how to collaborate with google slides. 
It's 2pm and we go live. 


It was great! It's almost like we know what we're doing after 273 times!! This was one of our very best. I ended up being very happy with my content, and Jim's production skills have gotten top-notch. No glitches. Great sound. We have fun and I think the people watching us do too.

Here is the link to watch the show: https://youtu.be/j4NN3KLkNGI Or you can always just go to YouTube.com/@geeksontour, open the Playlist for "What Does This Button Do?" and find Episode 274

I felt the same way after this show. I always review how it went and think of some things I could do better but I couldn't thnk of anything! The audience asked some really good questions too. It was a good topic! I might even say we've reached our peak. It reminds me of the FMCA rally at the Ohio university where all of our seminars were perfect. 


No comments: