Tuesday, April 01, 2025

Just Breathe

We're down to the wire. This is our last week in Fort Lauderdale. We're in packing mode now. The place is a mess again. I lay awake thinking about what needs to be done before we go. The drawers that have to be emptied. We're not storing anything so everything we're not taking needs to go in the trash. I panic. I roll over towards Jim and with unspoken demands cry, "hold me, squeeze me, never leave me!" He complies.

Just breathe.

Everything will be OK.

Drawers have to be emptied because the furniture they're in is being hauled away. Cupboards on the other hand ... If I just ignore the stuff in cupboards and leave, it will be someone else's job to empty them. We've made arrangements, through the realtor, for someone to go thru the house and do a final clearing out after we leave.

I think of all the stuff in those drawers. I haven't looked at it in years so I won't miss it right? But I'll know. I'll know that I've left precious memories behind. But, I also know the freedom of an unencumbered life. For everything you own to fit in a few suitcases. The incredible lightness of being when you have so few possessions. 

The local newspaper, the Sun Sentinel, did a story on us. A friend of a friend works at the paper and she spread the word about our story. It's a great write up. We sound so sure of ourselves. They didn't interview us at 5am! 

Then I think of the alternative - to change our mind and stay. NOO! That sounds so much worse. I want to go. I want to do this. This is such a fantasy life we're going to. I would feel so let down if we didn't go now. I don't want to be like so many and look at a fantasy and say, "That's for other people, I can't do that." I look at the fantasy and say, "That's what I want, I CAN do that." It just takes some work to get ready. I'm so lucky to have a partner who feels the same.

Just breathe.

Eveything will be OK.

Now, get to work!  

Oh - another technique I use to relax is to think of 10 years from now, how will I feel about all the stuff left behind? ... What stuff? ... who cares about stuff? It's a life of adventure that we love. And, how extraordinary that we've found such a life that doesn't need any work on our part (no driving, no cooking, no booking flights, hotels, etc.) The only work is right now - getting there - then we can 

RELAX and ENJOY





3 comments:

Donna B. McNicol said...

Reminds me of when I downsized from my house to a 29' Class C motorhome and again when we moved to Ecuador for two years. I can't wait to follow along on your journey!

Rick and Kathy Rousseau said...

Somehow, I've missed where all this started and have been backtracking for the last couple of hours, reading about your changes to traveling. Blogger does not always bring the latest Blogs published to the top of our list.
I can only say "Go for it". That would be a dream come true for many. Wishing you only the best and hope to continue tracking your adventures.
Stay Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.

Chris Guld said...

Hi guys! Probably the best article that sets the stage is on our main website, on the "Cruising" page: https://geeksontour.com/2025/02/our-next-chapter-residential-cruising/