Monday, August 04, 2025

It's not Jet-Lag, it's Ship-Lag

You know about jet lag right? Well let me tell you about ship-lag! 


When you fly from the US to Japan, for example, your body is hit with a sledge hammer of time change. It's bright daylight when your body thinks it should be night and sleep time. On the ship we've changed one time zone nearly every day for ten days. Instead of a sledgehammer, it's like a vice grip tightening a little each time. We change our clocks an hour at a time and we have blackout curtains to keep it dark when we want to sleep, so you're body is tricked into thinking everything is normal and you just wonder what is wrong with you that you can't stop yawning at dinner? 

Last night was day 8 and minus 6 hours out of Kodiak Alaska on our way to Japan. A group of 'Odysseans' (that's what we call ourselves who live on the Villa Vie Odyssey) put on a play - The Maltese Falcon. Jim was in the play and it started at 8:30pm. I wouldn't miss it for the world. 
Or would I? 


It was about 7:45 and I was all ready. "I'll just lay down for a minute and rest up before I go." 
Don't worry, I did get up in time, but my eyes did close and when I opened them I had a moment of panic. Why am I so tired, I thought. It took a moment to dawn on me that, in Kodiak time it was 2:30 in the morning. I was ship-lagged.
The play was great fun and Jim did his Peter Lorre voice to a very appreciative audience. After the play the cast retired to the bar and shared drinks, stories, laughs, and plans for the next play. When we finally went to bed it was about 10:30, 4:30 Kodiak time. Wait a minute, don't we cross another zone tonight, it's only 9:30. Let's have another 🍺 ....... 💤😴






2 comments:

Rick and Kathy Rousseau said...

Congratulations to Jim on his Acting Career debut.
We know exactly what you are talking about. When you RV the worse you can do is Two Time Zones in one day, and even then you are dragging. The worst that I've had it was returning from Britain. It took weeks to recover.
Stay Safe and Enjoy the adventure.

It's about time.

Cape Fear Chem-Dry said...

Ship-lag can be so funny. I'm jealous of your travels and adventures. We try to take one trip a year when we can get away from the old carpet cleaning business. Our best one was 2 weeks in Italy, and I made the mistake of scheduling an appointment the morning after we got home. I was so disoriented and felt like I was functioning in reverse haha Can't wait to read more about your adventures.