Saturday, January 24, 2026

Excellent Online Event: DIY Trip Summit

We are not alone

Several months ago we received an email asking us to participate in an online "DIY Trip Summit." We get a lot of similar emails asking us to collaborate and I just ignore them, but this one was different. It was clear they had done their homework, they knew our content and our business. Here is that initial conversation. In fact, it was so apparent that Michelle knew what she was doing that I figured I would learn a thing or two by collaborating with her and her company Intentional Travelers.

We Teach, We Learn

For years it's been on my list to come up with a "Lead Magnet." This is a digital product, report, guide, checklist, or tutorial that is offered for free in exchange for people signing up for your newsletter. First you need to have something valuable enough for people to want it. Then you need to set up the processes for them to click a link, get the product, and give their email to get signed up for the newsletter. I've never been focused enough to get it done before, but this is one of the things that Michelle was asking us to do for her "DIY Trip Summit." 

So, we did it. I created a "Google Photos Guide to Sharing your Travels" and set up the procedures for people to sign up and for the guide to be delivered to them. I was pleased with the results. 

Cover of the Guide that I created for the DIY Trip Summit
Member Note: If you’re a Geeks on Tour member, you don’t have to join a summit to see it! This guide is now live on our Learning Guides page.
For the summit itself, she asked that we create a 15-25 minute video about Smartphone Photography Tips for Travelers. Another project that I enjoyed creating and would not have done but for the motivation provided by the summit. It is also on our website for members only.

A Master Class in Organization

So, what was so great about the DIY Summit? The main thing was just how organized it was. Every detail had been thoroughly thought out. There were 30 different speakers, and we got to meet many of them thru a couple of private zoom calls. We also had a private WhatsApp group, and the organizers prepared tutorial videos and guides to help us all with our presentations and sales. We were impressed.


We were all asked to prepare a video for the summit. Yet, the summit itself was a live 3-day event. It was all organized by topic over 3 days. Such an interesting, and workable combination People could register for free and see all the presentations they were interested in - they had 48 hours to catch any given presentation. If they needed more time, they could pay for a "First Class Pass" which gave them a year to watch. The cost of the first class pass started pretty low if they purchased before the event began, then it went up during the event, and it went up again for a few days after the event when access was cut off completely. For 3 days there were the pre-prepared presentations plus one Zoom call where a panel would answer questions from the attendees. I watched a couple of other presentations and thought they were valuable and well done. 

The organizers created graphics for us to use to promote the event. 

The success of the event was obvious in that 6,000 people registered for it! It was also a success from our point of view, we normally get 5-10 new newsletter subscribers in a month. The month of the DIY Summit we've garnered 219 new subscribers! And, since we helped sell the "First Class Pass" as an affiliate, we'll be getting a few hundred dollars from that. 

Win-Win-Win

  • The organizers won: They produced a first class event attended by thousands of people. 
  • The participants won They walked away with a suitcase full of travel tips.
  • The presenters won We found a new audience, made some extra income, and built lasting professional bridges.

I am so glad I didn't hit delete on that first email. It’s a great reminder that sometimes, the best way to grow your own business is to help someone else grow theirs. I hope they do it again next year!

1 comment:

Rick and Kathy Rousseau said...

That sounds like an adventure that turned into a good Business Venture.
Stay Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.