Monday, September 19, 2005
Shreveport - Hot
After another 400+ mile day, we pulled into a campground in Shreveport about 5pm. Our thermometer said 103. Fort Lauderdale heat doesn't hold a candle to this! At least you have the ocean breeze there. Not a breath of air here. We had to have a regular campsite last night because we discovered that our generator dies after about 20 minutes of running the air conditioner. Jim thinks it just has a dirty air filter - I hope that's what it is.
This campground also advertises free Wi-Fi. But, I couldn't get it to work on my computer at all ... my adapter didn't see the signal. Jim's super-duper Sony Vaio could see the signal and attach to it, but it was unbearably slow. So, we raised our trusty Datastorm/Motosat/Direcway satellite dish, and in 8 minutes, we had our own Internet! I think that $115/month is worth every penny!
Travelling across Mississippi on highway 20 was no problem. We saw a few signs of hurricane damage around Jackson - down trees and highway signs - but no current problems. Getting gas was also no problem - plenty of gas stations and the price keeps getting lower. We filled up for 2.57 and we saw signs for 2.49. www.Gasbuddy.com reports 2.41 at a FlyingJ on route 20.
In fact, we had such smooth-sailing that we wonder if it would have even been OK to travel on I-10. It certainly would have been interesting to see, firsthand, what it looks like down there. But, I believe we did the right thing by staying out of the way. Here's a picture out the window as we crossed the Mississippi river. I had expected to see it looking very full - after all, the area was just flooded right? It actually looked downright low - look at all that beach. Interesting.
Did I mention that it was HOT here? One little trick we use while traveling is to hang a blanket from the cab-over bunk. It hangs down behind the seats in the cab so, when we use the engine A/C, it only has to cool the small cab area. Another technique is to turn on the generator while you're driving and keep the coach A/C running to cool down the rest of the 'house'. But, since all 3 of us ride in the cab when we're underway, we think the blanket is the most efficient method.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment