Saturday, February 25, 2006

Hike at Lopez Lake

We really want to take advantage of this spectacular place while the weather is good. It's supposed to start raining like crazy tomorrow. Yesterday we went kayaking! I didn't want to take the camera, so you have to take my word for it. All four of us launched our kayaks just down the street from our campsites. We paddled around for about an hour and thoroughly enjoyed the sights and sounds of a lake with lots of water fowl. Even pelicans! Big white ones with black-tipped wings. Odie came too and went for a little swim. Whether he intended to or not, we'll never know, but he did pretty good. He fell out of my kayak and swam over to Jim's. Today we saw a notice for a ranger-led hike, so we took advantage of it and met up at the trail head for the Tuouski trail. We had a delightful ranger named Kristen for a guide. I made sure to wear long pants so I could avoid contact with any poison oak. And, we left Odie at home. Good thing. There was poison oak everywhere. But the trail was well-maintained and I'm pretty sure we did not make contact. I took the pants off and put them in a laundry bag as soon as we got home, and I scrubbed my hands and arms with Tecnu. If I started all over again with this menace, I think it would be the end of my California hiking days. So - forget about that. It was a BEAUTIFUL hike. We were hiking for over 3 hours and we climbed up pretty high. Yes! Some needed exercise! When we got up to the top, Kristen pointed out a lookout where Condors are sometimes spotted. And, Jim remembered seeing that there was a geocache around here somewhere. Kristen poked around a bit and, voila! It's not quite spring yet, but the wildflowers are already starting. Lupine Indian Paintbrush Shooting Stars And, I just love the majestic, yet intricate, live oak. Nice hike.

1 comment:

Gypsy John said...

Looks like FUN! If I keep going at the pace I've been doing the last five weeks--who knows, maybe in another year, I'll be able to join you two for some serious H-I-K-I-N-G!!!