Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Poison Oak update
I remember that poison oak was nasty from when I lived here 25 years ago. I remember that the rash lasts longer than any rash has a right to - 2-3 weeks instead of 2-3 days. I don't remember how the rash can keep getting worse and going in and out of a stage that includes 'weeping blisters'. I will spare you a photo, but if you really want to see what it looks like - other people have posted photos on this page.
There is an entire shelf at the local drugstore of salves and washes for poison Oak and I tried several - with minor successes. The most relief still came from a hot, hot shower. Ice helped a little too. Both the heat and the cold ease the itching for a while. Night before last was a 3-shower, 2-ice night with an hour or so of sleep in between.
Liz got me to a doctor who gave me some prednisone, luckily before I had the chance to *shoot* myself! I started taking it yesterday and last night was just a 1 shower, 1 ice night! It also looks much more like a normal rash now rather than something from a documentary about a leper colony.
Looks like I'll live.
We've moved out to a county park called Lake Lopez. Lynne and John have joined us now, and I had hoped to do some hiking on the miles and miles of trails out here. hmmmm, I'm not so sure now - I'm a little gunshy - and I gotta read up on what happens with poison oak contact when you're already on prednisone. We could also go kayaking in the lake - no poison oak, but it's a little chilly. 39 degrees right now at 8am. Hopefully it will warm up. We'd *better* use our kayaks while we're here since the park charges $3 per night per kayak!! I've never heard of such a thing! Those poor kayaks stay on the top of our car day in and day out. If every place had such a policy - we'd be in trouble.
I gotta admit, it's a pretty cool place though. Since we got here last night, we've seen at least a dozen deer, a flock of wild turkeys and a peacock. Here's the turkeys just wandering thru camp.
And the male really likes to strut his stuff.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Have followed your site for awhile. Have had success with poison oak by using Clorox when you think you may be starting to get it. Drys it right up. Doesn't smell so hot, but readily avail and cheap.
Post a Comment