Friday, June 25, 2010

Did you see the Forbes.com article?

Between the heat and the airplane flights from Louisville, KY to Fort Lauderdale and back, I’ve been a little out of touch.  Jim picked up the slack and wrote a couple of posts here!  I think this is the longest I’ve gone without posting – almost 2 weeks.

I do use Facebook for quick updates, both business (www.facebook.com/geeksontour) and personal (www.facebook.com/chrisguld.)  One of the things I mentioned there is a link to an article on Forbes.com about us entitled  “Running a Subscription Website from the Road.”  We really like how this article came out and want to be sure we tell you all about it even if you don’t follow us on Facebook.

image

How did it Happen?
Serendipity.  Back in May, just before we left Ft. Lauderdale, I got a notice for a meeting in Boca Raton – just north of us – where the speaker was someone I knew and the topic was Camtasia.  Camtasia is the software I use for creating our tutorial videos.  I love it.  They just came out with a new version and that is what was going to be demonstrated at this meeting.  I jumped at the chance to attend.  It was good to reconnect with the speaker, and then, after the meeting, the guy next to me started asking all sorts of questions about how I use Camtasia and what our business was and how we operate.  Turns out his name is David Carr and he’s a freelance writer who has a commitment to Forbes.com.  He thought we’d make an interesting story and he made an appointment to visit us at the RV before we left to follow up and take a few photos.

We like the Article
You never know how an article is going to come out, but we really like this one.  It’s the first time anyone has focused on the business part of our lifestyle. 

Check it out and tell us what you think.  Actually, tell Forbes readers … there is a place for comments at the bottom and I don’t see any so far.  You could be the first!

Thanks David!
For such a professional, yet personal, article.  To find out more about David, and see the pictures he took of us, you can go to his website at CarrCommunications.com

5 comments:

Betsy Weber said...

What a fantastic article! I loved hearing how you're teaching people on the road from your RV! And, thanks for using Camtasia. Much appreciated!

Do you ever get to Michigan? We love visitors at TechSmith! If you're ever in the Lansing area, please drop me an email (b.weber(at)techsmith.com) and come on in!

Betsy Weber | Chief Evangelist | TechSmith
Twitter: @betsyweber and @techsmith

kitandjerry said...

Always good to read about your business. The cost of membership is one of the best buys out there. Keep up the great work.

Monica at In Wanderment said...

Hi there, I just found your blog and read the Forbes article. Good stuff. As a reporter for a daily newspaper, I enjoy writing about people when they least expect it -- especially those with great stories. I'm off to read Geeks on Tour.

Debby Diver said...

I loved the article, I'm so proud of you two!

RodEllison said...

Awesome article. Very happy to see you getting some high profile praise for your excellent videos. I think I'm gonna have to take a look at Camtasia now.. You guys are always first with the best tools...:)