Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Week Apart

This past week, I flew down to Fort Lauderdale to spend some time with my Mom on her 80th birthday.  A long time ago, after I had left home for college, law school and parts unknown, I returned home after over 10 years to find I had grown up to be exactly like my mother!
30 years later, we’re still twins:
Mom and me on her 80th Birthday - people think we're twins
Mom and me on her 80th Birthday - people think we're twins
My friend, Chris Lorber, joined us and we went to Vero Beach for the weekend.  A place where the three of us spent a weekend over 20 years ago – the Driftwood Inn:
The Driftwood Inn - Vero Beach - where we went for Mom's 80th Birthday
The Driftwood Inn - Vero Beach - where we went for Mom's 80th Birthday
Mom, of course, didn't remember the place - even though she was the one who initially discovered it.  She doesn't remember anything any more - but she still enjoys the moment.  This was sure different from her 70th birthday party when we went on a Shark Dive in the Bahamas!  What a life she's had.  I know she enjoyed this weekend though.  The beach is her favorite place and it was just a dozen or so yards from our front door.
Mom at her favorite place, the beach
Mom at her favorite place, the beach
And we had dinner just down the street at the Ocean Grill.  Ocean view all around made you feel like you were on a ship.
Mom and Chris L after dinner at the Ocean Grill
Mom and Chris L after dinner at the Ocean Grill
We also had a birthday dinner at Jo Ellen’s with Jim’s Dad as well since his birthday is next week.  It was also great to see Devon and AJ.
Devon and AJ at Jo Ellen's
Devon and AJ at Jo Ellen's
Meanwhile, back in Ohio – Jim completed several projects around the RV – new electrical outlets in the bedroom, hanging some pictures, reorganizing some cupboard contents, tuning up bicycles, fixing some plumbing issues … and that’s just what I’ve discovered so far.  Who knew a geek could be so handy!  He also spent some time with our friends Howard and Linda of RV-Dreams who came to stay in this same Thousand Trails park.
They went to dinner and play (!) and one day for a kayak paddle.  Being a smart man, and not needing to duplicate effort Smile he let Howard and Linda take care of pictures and blogging!  See their post at Paddling the Grand River.
I had a bit of an adventure in my return flight as there was thunderstorms in Atlanta and my plane had to take a detour and stop in Augusta, GA.  We eventually made our way to Atlanta after my connecting flight had departed.  It was nearly midnight by the time Jim picked me up from the Cleveland airport and got me home. 

2 comments:

Michael Lockridge said...

I am pleased to hear that your mother is adjusting to her new condition. I am sure it is a challenge.

Unfortunately, my mother-in-law is not having such an easy time with the adjustment. She is far from an adventurer and has mostly lived in the past her whole life. The change is hard on her.

My son insists that my own slide into dementia will be so smooth nobody will notice. That, of course, causes me to wonder if it has not already happened.

Thanks again for sharing your travels and your experiences.

Jean said...

Your Mom looks great! The new environment must be agreeing with her. I know it must make you feel better.