Sunday, July 03, 2011

I Finally Drive the New Motorhome

Jim likes to drive the motorhome.  I like being the passenger.  But, I hadn't driven this new RV at all, and I figured it was time.  I would like to take an RV driving class sometime, but for now I just wanted to break the ice.  So, I got behind the wheel to see how it felt.  Wow - I didn't know we had power seat controls on this!  In the last motorhome I had to sit on a pillow, this one I could adjust just perfect.  And, the mirrors also have power controls.

Being a Class C means it feels more like a regular vehicle ... the front wheels are in front of you, not underneath you like in a Class A.  It all was perfectly comfortable, so we took off.  I planned on just going a couple of freeway exits then stop and give the reigns back to Jim.  But, I just kept on going.  I drove thru Cleveland with big city traffic and cloverleaf freeway exchanges.  Then, on the other side of town there was construction.  It seems like I always get construction when I'm driving!

Chris finally drives.  This rig is just as easy and much more comfortable than the last one.
Why do I always get the construction?! @#$@#
When I was driving on this narrow stretch of road with the concrete wall on one side, I felt the bigger size of this RV.  My hands were starting to slip on the steering wheel from sweating!  But, I made it and we pulled into Thousand Trails about 3:30.

This is the Thousand Trails that is east of Cleveland ... Kenisee Lakes.  If you ever go there, make sure to follow the directions in the book because a regular GPS will take you on a road with a low clearance bridge:

Low Clearance bridge on the way to Kenisee Lakes Thousand Trails.  This picture taken on a car ride!  We took an alternate route with the RV.
Once we pulled in, I lucked out and didn't need to back into a site since there was a pull-thru, 50Amp site available. Piece of Cake!



Further your computer education
**Subscribe to the Free Geeks on Tour Newsletter**

7 comments:

heyduke50 said...

well done...

Ron and Thelma said...

With the new Rand mcnally gps you can set the height of you rv and it will keep you on roads that have enough clearance. We have one and love it so far

Laura Baker said...

Hey, Chris. Isn't there an RV Driving class in Gillette? We have 27 days until our launch! Just wrapping up a few things here then it's off full time! See you in Gillette!

Jean said...

This campground is great. Just there in June and will return.

Glad to see you are driving your new castle!

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

Nice to see you driving something other than a keyboard! Ya' done good. :C)

I can see fighting for the wheel in the future...

Mary and Tom Williams said...

Hey Chris....we found out the hard way about that bridge....the neighbor was not too happy about us backing up and turning around in his driveway after we unhooked the car....always a fun experience and one we have repeated several times in other places. Enjoy your stay in wine country!

Anonymous said...

Jim send me an email. I lost your's somewhere. I want to know if that 1 LB BLT is still good as it use to be. Dennis & Carol, RV School rvschool@wizwire.com