Monday, January 28, 2013

A week at home

Fort Lauderdale, Florida is where we call home.  My grandparents moved here in the 1950s.  I lived here when I was 2, then Mom met my stepdad and he moved us to Seattle, Washington then Alaska.  That’s one way to avoid the in-laws!  We moved back here when I was in high school, then I took off for parts unknown and didn’t return till I was 30.  That was 1983.  Jim has lived in Fort Lauderdale since the 80s as well.  We hit the road in 2004, but the glorious winter weather, the scuba diving, and lots of family and friends keep us coming back here and we still call it home.

One day this week was so drop-dead gorgeous that I just had to get out on the water.  So, I grabbed Mom from her assisted living place, and my friend Dee, and we hitched a ride on a water taxi.

Ridin' the Water Taxi
Ridin' the Water Taxi

This picture was taken just about at the point in the New River where my grandparents lived.  I can’t figure out what property was theirs now because all the old homes have been torn down and mansions built in their place.

Our view while eating lunch at Bahia Cabana in Fort Lauderdale
Our view while eating lunch at Bahia Cabana in Fort Lauderdale

Me and Mom at Bahia Cabana
Me and Mom at Bahia Cabana

Within an hour of dropping Mom back off at home, you could ask her what she did today and she’d tell you … oh nothing.  “Didn’t you go for a water taxi ride with Chris today?”  “No, I haven’t seen Chris in a long time.”  Alzheimers has taken away her ability to remember anything from minute to minute.  But, she sure looks happy here doesn’t she?

I’m afraid I can’t say the same for Jim’s Dad.  He doesn’t get out of bed any more, and he has 24 hour Hospice care.  All we can do is visit, hold his hand and tell him we love him.  We did get together with Jim’s sister and look at some old pictures.  Here’s a great one of him pumping gas at his Texaco station in 1966.

Jim Guld Sr. working at his Texaco station circa 1966
Jim Guld Sr. working at his Texaco station circa 1966

We looked at a lot of old pictures, and I spent some time taking pictures of them.  We like this way of capturing old photos rather than scanning them. It’s a lot easier, quicker, and just as good or better quality.  We’ll be doing a day long seminar for a genealogy group in the Orlando area. We’re preparing.

Taking pictures of old pictures rather than scanning them
Taking pictures of old pictures rather than scanning them

Our reason for coming to town was to do a Smartphone seminar for a computer user group at the community of Bellaggio.  This is the second time we’ve been invited to speak here and it went very well.

Someone there snapped this photo of us and sent it to us.  Thanks!

Geeks on T our presenting a smartphone seminar at Bellaggio Computer User Group
Geeks on T our presenting a smartphone seminar at Bellaggio Computer User Group

Today we’re taking off again and are headed to Orlando Thousand Trails park.  We are booked to present our seminars at several clubs in the Orlando / Tampa / Port Charlotte area.  Then we’ll be back in Fort Lauderdale again on Feb 18.  See our calendar for more details.

2 comments:

Bob said...

Interesting that you prefer to take a picture of a picture, which is something that I now do. I tried scanning. Even bought a dedicated scanner. The results kinda sucked, and I got bored.
Since I now see that you (having a certain geek status) do the same, I don't feel like I'm just being lazy.

Speedy said...

You are both looking real good. I guess Florida is doing you good. Hopefully we will be coming through there in a few years.