Sunday, March 05, 2023

Last dive

How do I capture this feeling? The feeling of being so comfortable in such a foreign world. I'm underwater, completely dependent on my scuba gear. If something goes wrong with my flotation control (buoyancy compensation device) I could sink to the bottom or pop up to the top and get the bends (decompression sickness)   If something should go wrong with my breathing device I would not be able to breathe and, well, die. 

But I know my gear well, and it always works great. I AM very comfortable flying along and breathing underwater.  Especially on this last dive. In the last 3 weeks I've made 35 dives and been underwater for 32 Hours


This last dive was off a traditional Balinese outrigger boat called a Jukung  that was just so cool, and the weather was gorgeous. I felt especially happy. I made it thru 34 dives without mishap so I was extra confident and comfortable in this 35th one. We do a backward roll of the gunnels of the boat then give a few kicks to get past the outriggers before surfacing to check that all is ok before letting the air out and descending into the deep blue water. 

It was disappointing at first, just a bunch of rubble, but then the bottom began to slope and the coral was growing large. Pretty tropical fish were everywhere. I didn't have a care in the world as I floated along weightless. Just a tiny kick of a flipper now and then to move along the way. Come around one coral head to find a beautiful turtle casually munching away. Then a brilliant blue ribbon eel.




And, of course, a key to my being so comfortable underwater is that I have Jim, my partner, my buddy, my other half, always right there with me. We both love scuba diving so much and we do it together.




As I drifted along, in joyful peace with the universe, I thought ... the only thing that could make this dive even better than it is would be to see another Cuttlefish. 

Here's Jim's video of that last dive. I'm so glad we have this to remember it by. Just past the 2 minute mark, you'll hear the rattle, rattle, rattle of my noisemaker trying to get everyone's attention. Because, yes! There was another Cuttlefish.



No comments: