I didn't particularly want to stop the world and get off, but that's what happens when you have No internet or connectivity of any kind on board the Aggressor in Cuban waters.
Getting away from the constant onslaught of news is a good thing, not being able to take care of business I didn't like. I did send out an email before we left letting everyone know that we would be completely off grid, but who knows how many read it. We're so accustomed to having internet when we're traveling so we can take care of anything we need. It was definitely interesting to be off grid for a week. We both had downloaded kindle books and we actually read!
I wrote a bunch notes about ideas for a button show on being off grid. The hardest part for me was the fact that I used 2 different phones. Usually, when there is connectivity, anything I do on one phone syncs to the other. This time, I'd pick up my iPhone and want to add to that list, only to realize I started the list on the Android.
Everyone on board has iPhones so photos were being shared using airdrop. That works so well. Jim and I tried using the qiuckshare on android and couldn't get it to work.
No emails, no Facebook posts, Google photos experts, no googling for news or answers to questions, no photo albums, no checking on bank account transactions, and a growing dread about how all of these things are getting backed up and I will get a deluge once my devices do get connected. ONe thing that I has become such second nature is Googling things that you can't remember. Like, who was the author of Lonesome Dove? I said, oh that's one of my very favorite authors - his name is ... uh ... uh .... And, I can't look it up!?!? Two days later I look at Jim and say, "Larry McMurtry" 😂 He knew exactly what I was talking about.
I have enjoyed the time off however, because I'm bad about 'doomscrolling.' That's where I read some political garbage news and say "omg, that's horrible! … tell me more"
Here's our YouTube show where we gave tips about being offline:
Here's our YouTube show where we gave tips about being offline:
No comments:
Post a Comment