It was just a couple days, a very mild head cold. One of my criteria for a comfortable home is one that accommodates being sick. I remember looking at RVs way back when. There were some with very space-efficient designs that required you to convert a couch to a bed, or had a murphy-bed situation. I would reject those immediately because it wasn't "home" if you couldn't have an always-available bed, especially if you were sick.
Is your home comfortable even when you're sick?
I spent the better part of 2 days in the cabin and I was perfectly comfortable. Jim did not get sick and he was able to partake of ship events. No need for me to feel guilty keeping him down. And, if my cold got worse, I was comforted by the fact that I could call the medical center and get a checkup and maybe some antibiotics.
Bottom line, our new home passed the 'being sick' test with flying colors. I slept a lot, but still took strolls around the deck for fresh air.
p.s. a week later and I was still coughing and wheezing, I figured I had bronchitis. I finally broke down and walked the 2 decks down to on board medical center to see the Dr. He asked me questions and listened to my lungs and told me I did not have bronchitis, just asthma. Yes, I have asthma but I never associated it with coughing. 72 years old and still learning! I took a hit from my inhaler and felt better already. The Doctor also gave me some prednisone pills to take for 3 days - it should relax my bronchial tubes. The final bill? $15. Being able to see a doctor so easily - priceless.
Outbreak
Is your home comfortable even when you're sick?
I spent the better part of 2 days in the cabin and I was perfectly comfortable. Jim did not get sick and he was able to partake of ship events. No need for me to feel guilty keeping him down. And, if my cold got worse, I was comforted by the fact that I could call the medical center and get a checkup and maybe some antibiotics.
Bottom line, our new home passed the 'being sick' test with flying colors. I slept a lot, but still took strolls around the deck for fresh air.
A week or so ago there were several people on board that suffered from a gastrointestinal problem that caused vomiting and diarrhea. When their number reached 3% (I think) of the ship's population, that triggered a higher level of sanitation procedures. The most notable being in the buffet. You could not serve yourself from the buffet, staff with plastic gloves on were required to collect and deliver the food to you. We really did not enjoy trying to explain exactly how much of the lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, etc. we wanted from the salad bar. But, after 3 or 4 days of this heightened sanitation level, the reportable cases of GI illnesses went below 1% of the population and we could go back to normal.
We're learning the facts of life living on a cruise ship
We're learning the facts of life living on a cruise ship

No comments:
Post a Comment