Friday, December 12, 2008

Don't pay for AOL

I've been getting together with a lot of old friends and clients here in Fort Lauderdale. Many of them are back in the 'olden times' of the Internet. You know ... 2 - 3 years ago! One friend wanted to have her email be more professional - name@herbusinessname.com instead of @aol.com. We found that her business name was available as a .com and I got her set up with the domain name, and an email for a mere $10/year.

She said, "oh good, now I can get rid of AOL, that costs me $12/month. I'll be happy to save that expense." OMG, she's been paying $12/month for the last 2-3 years for nothing! Since sometime in 2005, AOL's email has been free. The only need to pay AOL is if you need them for your Internet connection. My friend here has a cable connection to the Internet, so she's been paying AOL for nothing. AOL didn't publicize this change too much! If you kept paying them after the change, they just figured that you were using the Dial-up service.

Just thought I'd mention it here in case any other readers out there are in the same situation.

Further your computer education **Subscribe to the Free Geeks on Tour Newsletter**

4 comments:

paulsharol said...

have had Aol for years when they went free so did we still use it a lot

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Being computer illiterate, it is worth the $11.99 a month to have AOL help me on Live Chat or on the phone. I have so many things stored on AOL, so that they are not in my machine, too. I don't have the knowledge to store stuff any other way. So I had better keep them for now! Happy Trails, Penny, TX

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Oh, another thing. The cable often goes out here, so my machine is set to switch to dial-up when that happens. Happy Trails, Penny, TX

Tom Williams said...

I didn't realize that we were still being charged for AOL until we canceled one of my wife's credit cards. I got a call from AOL saying that we owed for six month past service. I was very upset and probably said some things that I shouldn't to some poor telemarketer who had no real connection to AOL other than there company had been hired to track down "deadbeats" like me.
And NO I never sent them a dime. I have no idea how long she had been paying for a free service.