Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving at Mom’s

‘Thanksgiving at Mom’s’ sounds pretty normal doesn’t it?  But not for me.
Mom has never cooked Thanksgiving dinner.  When she was married, my Dad was quite the cook, and we had many a turkey stuffed with chestnut dressing, but they split up in 1988.  She has lived alone ever since and heating something up in the microwave was the extent of her ‘cooking.’ 
Lately I’ve noticed that she doesn’t seem to know how to operate the microwave.  That’s what Alzheimer’s does to you. 
My job this month was to get her moved into Willow Wood.  This was planned last year … discussed even the year before … but it’s not something she wanted to do.  I’ve always been a very good daughter, doing whatever she told me to do.  The hardest thing I’ve ever had to do is to tell her what to do!  I’ve been a bit of an emotional basket case lately … you may have noticed my lack of posts.
She is living in her new apartment now.  And, thanks to Jim and Jo Ellen, her furniture is there (moved while I took Mom to the Keys) and decorations look marvelous!  Really, it is a beautiful, comfortable, apartment.  And, she gets 3 meals/day in the dining room.  So, Jim, Jim’s Dad, and I went to Mom’s place for a delicious Thanksgiving Dinner.
Will wonders never cease!  Thanksgiving at Mom’s.  And nobody had to clean up!

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

You are a wonderful daughter. You and Jim are so understanding and loving. You have made the right decision. Bill and I took care of my Mom for 8 years so we have great empathy for you two. May God bless you and direct you on your journey.

Sharon Del Rosario said...

It must have been difficult to move your Mom, but I know she'll be happy there. I went through that several years ago. You did the right thing, and you *are* a wonderful daughter.

John and Carol said...

"The hardest thing I’ve ever had to do is to tell her what to do!" I know what you mean. That role reversal is really, really hard--awful. Just remember that doing that is what is best for her. Hang in there.

Joline said...

Chris ... thank you so much for sharing your loving story and the continuing news re Marilyn, your mom. I so appreciate that. Wasn't it Marathon Island where we stayed on our initial visit together to the Keys? Duck Island was our destination of the Prophet's Conference. Oh, yes. Seems like yesterday and all was well with the world, a world that today seems upside down. Loving all of you ... Joline