Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ancient Wisdom

Horses.  They’ve been around a while.  We have a lot we can learn from them.  The weather actually cleared up and warmed up enough to have a mini-session with the horses. 

Melinda paired me with Buttercup and I could feel her calm attitude as we had our ‘heart-to-heart.’

Mom chatted a while with Rosa.  Rosa was originally adopted as a wild Mustang.

Then, we went thru the exercise she calls ‘Catch and Halter.’  Catching was easy – Buttercup was very amenable.  The halter was another story. 

What a diabolical series of ropes and knots.  I think Buttercup was laughing at me!

Finally, Melinda took pity and showed me how it worked.  She said that, when she does this exercise with corporate teams, she doesn’t help, but instead uses it as a metaphor to teach Type A executives what it’s like to not know how to do something.  This helps them in their dealings with new team members, or maybe clients.

I finally got it and then led the horse around a bit.  Melinda told me it’s not about ‘showing them you’re the boss’ it’s more about developing trust.  Believe me, it’s VERY clear who is boss when one of us is so much bigger than the other!

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Yea !!!!!!!!! You are having so much fun. Love the snow on the mountains. We missed you at the Rally. I did buy your Picasa DVD and book for a friend. Enjoy your vacation.

Wayne and Roberta said...

Looks like you are having a really great time on this vacation and how fun to get together with an old friend for a "Girls" vacation. Your post and pictures have been great.

ENJOY !!!