Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Geeks on Tour Videos and Youtube

I just discovered a new place to see our videos.  Yep, that’s right, even Jim and I – who make the videos – can’t keep up with where they go!

We use a service from Google called Google Alerts to alert us whenever the words “Geeks on Tour” appears anywhere on the web.  I get an email once a day whenever a mention is found.  Usually I recognize the items showing in the email.  For example, this blog post will show up because I wrote ‘Geeks on Tour’ in the title.  Whenever one of you who are reading this blog mention Geeks on Tour in your blogs – I usually get a notice to that effect from Google Alerts.

image

But today, I got a notice that there is a page on Youtube that lists Videos that have been embedded on the Geeks on Tour Blog.  I don’t know when this started, or how exactly it got there.  But, I like it.  It’s a good thing I like it! Because I don’t know how it was created, and I couldn’t stop it if I wanted to.  It all has to do with the fact that we posted these videos on Youtube - owned by Google - and we used them on our Blogger blog – also owned by Google.  Thank you Youtube for promoting our Blog – because it promotes your service.  Kind of a ‘I’ll scratch your back because you scratched mine.’  That’s how the social web works. 

I know that whenever I post a video on Youtube, I am putting them in the public domain.  So I only put up there the videos that I want to freely share.  I don’t put our ‘Members Only’ videos on Youtube because we charge $ for those. 

We have a ‘channel’ on Youtube also.  It’s at www.youtube.com/2geeksontour  … notice the ‘2’ before geeksontour.  That’s because somebody else got the GeeksOnTour youtube account name before us!  The nerve!  Smile  I don’t know who they are, and they haven’t uploaded any videos so its aggravating to think that some people might go there thinking that we have no videos.  Such is the digital world we live in!

No comments: