Because we flew Air Berlin to and from Miami, we were given the option to stopover a day in Berlin for no extra charge on the airfare. For the record, our airfare was $1,640 round trip for both of us combined. Not bad. Thanks
Dolphin Travel!
 |
| Air Berlin flew over the Alps between Milan and Berlin |
We landed in Berlin and Google Maps showed us how to get to the hotel with a combination of bus, subway and walking. This was the most modern hotel we've had yet.
We checked in then went out for a walk. Hey - if we're going to get 7 miles in today, we've got to get going! LOTS of construction going on in Berlin! It's a very active, vibrant city.
 |
| Berlin is a growing place |
 |
| We found the famous Brandenburg Gate on our walk, not too far from the hotel. |
I knew that another of my fellow Google Photos support experts lived in Germany somewhere but I had not made contact before our trip like I had with Paolo in Milan. I didn't know what kind of time we would have in Berlin anyway. But, I decided to take a chance and text Alex to see if it would be possible to meet up. Yes! I'm so glad I did. The Geeks on Meetup Tour continues! It was great to get to know Alex a bit. Putting a face and a personality to the people you only know on the web is a major benefit.
Then we had a bus and boat tour scheduled for the afternoon. We stopped to see the "Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe" - aka the Holocaust museum. What an innovative design for a memorial, dozens and dozens of massive concrete blocks. You feel their weight, you feel masses of unnamed people they represent. You feel chills.
 |
| The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe |
The actual museum was underneath.
The hop-on hop-off bus tours are great ways to get an overview of a city for the first time. We didn't have time to hop off though, so we just stayed on and went all around Berlin.
 |
| Hop-on Hop-off tour bus to see Berlin |
 |
| What's left of Checkpoint Charlie is full-blown tourist attraction |
After the bus came the boat. It's always best to see a place from the water. We had a gorgeous day for it.
 |
| The commentary on the boat said that Berlin has more bridges than Venice !?! |
More photos in our
2017 Europe Photo Album
No comments:
Post a Comment