Friday, October 23, 2009

Windows 7 Party

What a kick!  As one friend said upon receiving our invitation, “You’ll use any excuse for a party!” 

 

Well, duh!

 

I can’t think of a better way for geeks to party.  And, Microsoft provided some fun stuff.  There was the Windows 7 puzzle.

 

We had a great room.  The Rec hall here at Paradise Island has undergone major improvements since last year.  With a ceiling mounted projector and a huge screen – it’s a great place to present computer seminars … or movies.

 

 

Everyone there was a good friend, so we also did plenty of partying.

 

 

Notice the 2 guys in the background in the photo above – we had two computers with Windows 7 for people to try.  Jim upgraded his computer to Win 7, and he went out and bought me a brand new computer today.  $800 for a near-top-of-the-line Sony Vaio (500 GB hard drive, 4GB RAM plus 2GB on the video card, and a Blue Ray player) … hard to believe.

 

Microsoft even sent us Windows 7 napkins :-)

 

And, everyone got a Windows 7 goodie bag.

 

Here’s the completed puzzle.

 

So, today, Jim is setting up my new computer with all my old software.  So far, so good.  In addition to this being Windows 7, we also got the 64 bit version.  I’m expecting some of my software to have problems … Dreamweaver and Fireworks to be specific.  If you’re wondering about compatibility of any of your software or hardware, you can visit the Windows 7 Compatibility Center.  And, here is our take on ‘Should you Upgrade to Windows 7’

 

So, here’s my new computer.  Isn’t she pretty?

 

My old computer is working just fine, but it will be 3 years old in January.  Our first rule of buying a new computer is to get one *before* your old one dies.  It’s just so much easier to get a new computer going when you still have the old one to work on and get stuff from.  See the rest of our 7 Tips for Buying a New Computer.

4 comments:

John Huber said...

Where did you find the good buy on the computer? We're on the west coast and I'm looking for a new computer for my bride.

Chris said...

I like your new computer. It's white isn't it?
How are the speakers, are they loud enough to play music with and enjoy?
I remember you buying one and sense I'm looking at buying a new one I did a search on your blog and found the info I was looking for...
Like you I think I'll switch from my old Toshiba to a new Sony. I bought my last laptop about the time you bought yours. I picked Toshiba because you did and now I think I'll buy the Sony like you did... I regard your computer picks as law.....lol.
Have a Happy New Years..

Chris said...

Yes, the white is pretty. And the computer works great every few days it dawns on me that I haven't had to reboot at all! Pretty amazing. BUT - you hit on the one downside ... speakers. My old Toshiba had *GREAT* speakers. The Sony's speakers are almost worthless. I'll still use the old Toshiba to listen to music while I'm working on the new sony!

Chris said...

Wow, I was hoping you were going to tell me the speakers were better on the Sony.. My Toshiba speakers are very poor. I paid extra to buy the one with harman/kardon speakers and I can just barely hear those.. I'll have to keep using my external speakers no matter what I buy.