Friday, May 18, 2012

Old Friends and Cameras

As we continued to travel north we thought to call our old friend Glenn Martin, who moved to Jacksonville several years ago.  Glenn is a scuba diving buddy from our Kayuba club.  We got him on the phone and learned that he was pretty busy.  We ended up getting creative.  Our mail forwarding service is called St. Brendan’s Isle and it is located just south of Jacksonville. We figured it was worth going out of our way to physically pick up our mail this time, and Glenn was able to meet us there and go to lunch.
If you’re not an RVer, I’ll bet you have a lot less success making these spur of the moment connections with old friends!  The fact that we’re near his home is what makes the meeting possible.  The fact that we’re only going to be there for one day is what makes it happen.  Have I mentioned lately that I love the RV lifestyle?!
It was so exciting to catch up with what Glenn is doing.  I remember another visit, back in 2007, when he was just getting interested in photography.  Wow!  Look how far he’s come!  Although he can’t quit his day job yet, he has gone Pro, and is starting to make make money from his stunning shots.  Check it out at GlennMartinPhotography:
glennmaratin
I’ve been in the market for a new camera for quite some time now.  The good camera (Digital SLR) that I have was a hand-me-down from my Dad,and that was 6-7 years ago.  It’s a Canon Digital Rebel and it’s been in the shop a couple of times.  I know the new cameras are LOTS faster and better.  But, they’re also pretty pricey.  I”ve been looking at the high-end point and shoot cameras like the Nikon Coolpix P510 or the Panasonic Lumix.  We have friends with both and they take wonderful pictures.  I’ve had the opportunity to try them, and they just don’t feel the same as an SLR.  I didn’t realize how much I like the experience of using a viewfinder, looking thru the lens, and hearing/feeling the click of the lens. 
So, I asked Glenn for his recommendation and he said that I want the Canon 60D.  If I stick with Canon, I can use my existing lenses.  One that the new digital SLRs do that mine doesn’t is take video.  I’ve learned over the years how important sound is to video and I look for a separate input on the camera for an external microphone.  It’s rare.  The Canon 60D has one!  So, the decision is made.  I want a Canon 60D – now I just have to figure out how to pay for one! 
Meanwhile, Glenn brought along his old lenses – saying they’re just gathering dust and I should use them! OMG … check this out:
DSCN2113 
Probably the most important feature that his lenses have that mine don’t is image stabilization.  What a difference it makes!  So, now I need to get back into photography.  My Droid smartphone has been my main camera for quite a while now.  I hope I remember how to use the good one.
Thanks Glenn – I’ll try to make you proud of me.

2 comments:

Lynne (WinnieViews) said...

The 60D is a great camera. But you might also want to take a look at it's Rebel-version twin, the Rebel T3i. It has virtually the same specs except that it's in the lighter weight "Rebel" body and it costs (about $300 less!). Many retailers only sell the Rebel with a lens, but some of the better online dealers sell the body only (such as B&H Photo). I've always used the bigger/heavier Canon SLRs, and thought I'd only use this little T3i as a backup. But, lo and behold, I've barely touched my bigger, heavier cameras since getting it! Here's a recent blog post I did about it:

http://winnieviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-photo-toolset-for-rving.html

Either way you go (60D or T3i), I think you'll really love the rotating LCD screen. I don't know why all SLRs don't come with one-- they're great!

John Huber said...

I love my 60D, and it offers a lot of options, including HD video. The Canon direct store has the body only for $800 right now. Here's the link:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_29252

If you do get one I recommend a great book for this model, David Busch's Canon EOS 60D. I got mine from Amazon. I've been a member of your website for a couple of years and find the information great. Keep up the good work, and plan on heading out towards the West sometime soon.