Friday, September 01, 2006

Work, Weather, etc.

Believe it or not, both Jim and I worked yesterday. I'm working on a client's database project and Jim worked on a guy's dead computer trying to bring it back to life. Database (MS Access) is *real* work for me ... read, "Billable". Yippee. This is what I did for years before we took to the road. This is an application I created in '96 that is in serious need of updating. Thru the magic of the Internet and remote desktop connection, I can do this work wherever we are. I've been working on this for about a week now and already I'm feeling overwhelmed and incapable of keeping up with Blogging and website work. I seem to recall a day when I could multitask. What happened to those days? Oh well, at least we have some down time planned here at Long Beach Island. It's working out perfectly. Jim was unable to bring the computer back to life, but he did get most of the data recovered from the hard drive. The owner wasn't kidding when he said the computer was dead. He recalls working on it and hearing a thud, then the screen going black. That's called *CRASHING* and it's only a matter of time for every computer. All his photos are on there. Several years worth. And he hasn't backed up in a couple years! This will never happen to you right? 16,000 photos Jim recovered! Wow. Meanwhile, as we're working away and glancing occasionally out the window. We see a boat go drifting by. No driver, just a boat. Jim went out and snagged it as it bumped into the dock and tied it up. When Jimmy got home, he recognized it and called the owners - they were in Pennsylvania somewhere. So, he picked up their trailer, drove the boat to a launch and pulled it out. I got a fun boatride. Notice the not-so-lovely weather we're having. It's even worse this morning. We took Odie for a walk over to the beach to take a look. A bit different from our first few days here. Here are a couple photos I hadn't posted yet because they came from the film camera and had to be developed first. (how primitive huh?) Jimmy taking us all 'tubin' We actually swam (or splashed anyway) in the ocean. Here's Jim diving in. And here's me, not being quite so proactive. Alright ... back to work. Bye for now.

No comments: