Saturday, January 26, 2008

Teaching and Learning and Vista

We've been busy this week. Didn't make the hike, didn't go geocaching, I don't think I've even taken one picture this week :-( But we have been doing what we love, teaching and learning computer stuff. We had our Wi-Fi class last week for an appreciative 28 people. Although we've presented this information hundreds of times over the last 4 years, it's still new to LOTS of RVers. Later in the week, one of those 28 people came up to us and said, "It worked! I tried just moving my computer to a different angle and I get a much stronger connection." Yep, it' 2-way radio, moving your antenna just a little can make a big difference, and a better antenna will get you a better connection. We feel like a broken record, we've said that so much. It's good to know that someone benefitted.
Jim has been out and about doing support calls most all day, every day. I've done a few calls myself, and taught my hands-on class. But mostly, I've been spending a lot of time preparing for our new "Windows Vista: What's New" seminar that we're giving on Monday. I've always said, "if you really want to learn something ... teach it!" I've learned all sorts of good stuff. You can bet I'll have lots of Vista tips in my upcoming newsletters. Although, my favorite Vista feature that I've already written about in our Newsletter, is still my favorite. No, I'm not going to tell you what it is here. You need to subscribe to the newsletter for that! :-) I was afraid that Vista had slowed down to a snail's pace and was going to be unworkable by class time. Then I figured out that a major update had failed on my computer. I manually installed it, and Vista is working much better. If you're running vista make sure this update got installed. You can view your update history from Control Panel, Security Center, Windows Update, View Update History. Notice on mine below that the automatic update on KB943899 failed several times. It finally succeeded when I did it manually. And, my computer really is running *much* better now.
Further your computer education **Subscribe to the Free Geeks on Tour Newsletter**

No comments: