Monday, January 28, 2008

The Voice of the Computer

Lots of RVers use GPS navigation systems that speak. Many of them have given their computers names like Tom, Betty, or Carol. Ours is Majel. Jim named her after Majel Barrett, the wife of Gene Rodenberry who created Star Trek. Majel was the voice of the Star Trek computer in all the series! In preparing my Windows Vista seminar, I was looking for a video clip from some Star Trek show of a conversation with the computer. I wanted to show that, no matter how sophisticated computers get, there will always be frustrations. I found this great video all about Majel as the voice of the computer. For class, I just show the part with Scotty. Scotty is always frustrated with the computer in Star Trek - it's perfect. But the whole video is great to watch. The class went really well by the way. I found myself thinking, "I wish I could have taken this class when I first got Vista!"
Further your computer education
**Subscribe to the Free Geeks on Tour Newsletter**

1 comment:

FosterAbba said...

Great video, but I think the all-time best computer sequence is when Mr. Scott uses the Apple computer. That sequence is truly a classic.