Monday, April 28, 2008

Blogger vs. Wordpress

WordPress is another, very popular, blogging platform. We teach people how to use Blogger because it is easier, but I like to keep checking in on WordPress so I stay informed on the alternatives. I just helped a friend get set up on WordPress and I'll stick to my original assessment ... Blogger is easier! I have my own blog on WordPress, http://www.wifisavvy.com/ and I find that I don't post very often. That's probably just because I'm lazy, but it's also partly because I'm not very comfortable with the structure. My weekly post to the RV.net blog is also done on WordPress. It is certainly not difficult, but it's clearly more difficult than Blogger.

So, why even consider WordPress? It has more features than blogger. You can create a complete website with multiple pages using WordPress.

There is one, very cool feature of WordPress that I had been meaning to try ... you can import entries from other blogging platforms into a WordPress blog. I'm always looking for a way to back up this blog effectively, could this be the answer? I gave it a shot. It only took a few minutes to set up the account and the blog. I went into the management area and clicked on Import and chose 'import from a blogger blog.' After identifying my blogger account, I saw this blog listed - all 962 posts. Certainly it's going to choke on this. Nope. It took about 15 minutes to import the whole thing. So, I now have a 'mirror' blog over on WordPress. How cool is that! You can check it out at odiesroadies.wordpress.com.

This method does not make a backup copy of the pictures, it just backs up the written posts, including the links to pictures. I teach another way to backup if your purpose is to be able to have your entire blog on a CD or some other offline backup. See my video on how to backup your blog.

Further your computer education **Subscribe to the Free Geeks on Tour Newsletter**

1 comment:

Rex said...

I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR BLOG FOR SOME TIME. MARY AND I ARE ALSO FULLTIME RVER'S AND MAKE OUR LIVING DEALING BLACKJACK (WWW.REXANDMARY.BLOGSPOT.COM). WE HAVE RECENTLY BEGUN BUILDING A WEB BASED BUSINESS, NOT RV RELATED, BUT ADMIRE YOUR WORK THIS WINTER ON RV,NET, AND THEN TODAY ON TLD TECH ENEWSLETTER. YOUR STRIDES IN EXPOSURE ARE FANTASTIC, AND WE HOPE TO FOLLOW IN YOUR FOOTSTEPS ON OUR WEB ADVENTURE. IT'S FUN FOLLOWING YOU PROGRESS AND EXAMPLE IN E-COMMERCE.
REX