Saturday, August 21, 2010

Little Bighorn – Montana

I’m forever browsing the map when we’re driving.  Even though we may have made a plan for where to stay the night, it’s rarely a reservation – just a suggestion!  So, when we were getting close to our planned stop and I noticed that the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument was only about 30 miles out of our way, Jim agreed to the detour.

The history is important and the scenery is breathtaking.  Actually, that’s not quite right.  The scenery didn’t take my breath away … it made me breathe deeper.  All that open space; all those generations who have come and gone; the sun-gold wheat covering the hillsides, and the warm breezy air all conspired to make me feel very calm. 

There was, of course, lots of information about General Custer (actually, he was Lt. Colonel in this war) and the 7th Calvary who lost five companies – about 210 soldiers.  They faced Lakota and Cheyenne under the leadership of Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse among others with thousands of warriors. 

In 2003 an Indian Memorial was dedicated – the Spirit Warriors Sculpture – in an effort to bring a more balanced presentation of the battle of the Little Bighorn.  It’s a gorgeous sculpture.  I loved how you see the golden grain and blue sky thru the sculpture.

Then we went back to our campsite and watched the Montana sunset.

2 comments:

Karen and Al said...

That was a gorgeous sunset.

Freely Living Life said...

"The scenery didn’t take my breath away … it made me breathe deeper. All that open space; all those generations who have come and gone; the sun-gold wheat covering the hillsides, and the warm breezy air all conspired to make me feel very calm."

Well said. You made me feel like I was literally standing at this site in Montana for a moment.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Beautiful photos as usual. :)

Safe Travels,
The Freely Living Life Family