Saturday, December 11, 2021

Getting Unkinked

 I've had a kink in my neck for several weeks now. It's not unusual and most of the time it just goes away. This time it just kept getting worse until it motivated me to do something that's been on my list for a while. Go to the Chiropractor.

I'm a big believer in Chiropractic. For much of my life I would get Chiropractic adjustments regularly. A healthy spine helps with all other areas of your health because everything flows through the spine. I got out of the habit during our years on the road and it's been on my list to get back into it now that we have a home in Fort Lauderdale. I've noticed a sign for Chiropractor, right next to our dentist, just a half mile from our house. I've been telling myself to go check them out all year and I haven't gotten around to it. Yesterday, when I simply could not turn my head, I was motivated. I called and they were able to get me in that afternoon. Whew.

The first visit is more involved than when you go back for subsequent visits. I first saw the Dr. - Chiropractor. He asked some questions and took an XRay.


He pointed out lower vertebrae of my neck and how there is no spacing. That's bad. He called it arthritis. But, it's something that most everyone over 60 has. So, not that big a deal.

Next I went with an assistant to another room where he put rubber pads on my back attached to a machine that sent electrical stimulation to my muscles. It tingled and relaxed. Next came a massage therapist who rubbed, dug, and massaged those same muscles. Some of them were tight as piano wires, her prodding fingers hurt, but it hurt good!

Then I was ready to see the Chiropractor again. I was loosened up and ready for an adjustment. I was laying on my back and he would pull my head while at the same time pushing my shoulder, very gently yet forceful. After a few of those forceful push/pulls, he gave a quick twist and I heard the crack and felt the release. YES.

My neck is still sore today, but it's obvious that the kink is gone. The soreness is just residual.

A kink in the neck is like a kinked hose, until you unkink it, your life force can't flow. I was going to get around to going to the chiropractor some time, but it took a severe pain to make me do it. 

Listen to your body!

Chris' body, "You said you were going to visit the chiropractor, I would feel better if you did."

Chris, "Yeah, you're right, I'll put it on the list."

Chris' body, "No, you're going NOW."

No comments: