Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Ultimate Field Trip

I introduced you to Mary Ann in my previous post. Now, let me tell you a little more. I think it is just so cool that she is home-schooling her 2 teenagers by traveling around the country in a motorhome. Imagine learning about Custer's Last Stand not by reading a textbook, but by visting the Little Big Horn Battlefield. Nothing brings history to life more than standing on the soil where it happened. Or learning about end of WWII and the start of the cold war by visiting the Truman Presidential Library. History is easy, what about math? or geology? Well, for math, they take a self-study course online. And, geology, well ... how about spending time in places like Glacier National park, or watching the Old Faithful geyser in Yellowstone.

In order to make their 'Grand Adventure' (that's their blog, of course) work, Mary Ann and her husband made a deal ... he stays home in Orange County, CA and works. She and the kids live on the road. He meets up with them once in a while. Ooooohh, I don't think Jim would ever agree to such an arrangement do you?! Here's the gang, complete with a friend who flew in from California and is staying with them for 3 weeks.

We really enjoyed talking with them and shared a lot of RVing tales. Jim spent some time trying to get them an Internet connection. They use a Verizon aircard and, as I mentioned in a previous post, our Verizon phones can't find any signal here. They have all the 'booster' equpment though (antenna and amplifier), and Jim was hopeful he could get them going. After much experimentation, he and Mary Ann were able to get a signal that would get them online ... for about 2 minutes. :-(

Have I told you lately how much I love my Satellite Internet? The link is to my RV.net blog post that Mary Ann saw (while she used the Wi-Fi in the clubhouse) which prompted her to email us and introduce herself. Who says technology keeps us from real, personal, interaction?! I say it makes it happen!

Further your computer education **Subscribe to the Free Geeks on Tour Newsletter**

No comments: