Monday, August 24, 2009

Facebook and Old Friends

I find facebook.com a little complex – there’s so much you can do with it; notes, photos, blogs – it’s hard to know where to start.  But, I’m on it (Christine Guld) and I check in fairly regularly.

 

The amazing thing is how many people are connected to facebook.  Within minutes of joining, I had at least a dozen ‘friends.’ Over the last few months, I’ve reconnected – thru facebook – with dozens more people, many of whom I haven’t seen in many years.  There are even a couple that I haven’t seen since high school, and I graduated in 1971!

 

If you like having –and keeping- friends, you will like being on facebook.

 

One man, Eric Somers, was a friend who I met back in the 80s.  I met him when my Mom and I had just started our computer training center (Computer Savvy) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  He was involved with a high tech company that was taking advantage of the Internet … realize the Web didn’t even exist back then!  He ended up giving guest classes at Computer Savvy – teaching telecommunications – you know, 300 baud modems and Compuserve!  Eric is probably the brainiest person I’ve ever met and I always enjoyed our fascinating conversations.  We haven’t seen each other in over 10 years, but we would always share at least one annual email. 

 

Eric is one of my Facebook friends and he left a comment when we posted photos of Salem, MA.  That started a conversation and when our next stop was Hyde Park, NY (to go to FDR museum) I noticed that we were right next to Poughkeepsie where Eric lives.  We were able to meet up for breakfast and it’s definitely Facebook that made this possible.

 

So nice to get to visit with you Eric!

No comments: