Wednesday, June 16, 2004
Greetings from Hannibal, Missouri
I can hear you saying, "Why does that sound familiar?". I won't leave you in suspense, it's the home of Mark Twain. We will explore here tomorrow, first I have to tell you about today.
It was a dark and stormy morning, we stayed curled up in our cozy camper while the thunder and lightning roared:
But we had an exciting day planned, so as soon as is it cleared we were up and gone. Today, we crossed the Mississippi River at St. Louis, just like Lewis and Clark 200 years ago, we have started our journey to the West.
I didn't know anyone could be more excited than me about being in historic places, but Jim was clearly reveling in it! Here we see a replica of the expedition's keel boat:
We drove to the spot commemorating the 'Corps of Discovery's' point of embarkation. We're on the banks of the Mississippi river looking across at the mouth of the Missouri. The took their boats UP the Missouri. I really don't see how they did it against that ripping current, with no motors, just sails, oars and tow lines.
Then it was on to the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. I've done a lot of traveling in this country, but I've never seen the arch. It was well worth it!
Facts and Stats:
Current Park: Mark Twain Caves Campground
Site cost per night: $22
Nights at last camp: 1
Travel time: 7.5 hours including sightseeing
Miles: 197
Weather: Clear, hot and MUGGY
Last Gas Price: 1.839
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment