Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Leaving Valentine I am really sorry to be leaving Valentine, Nebraska! I can't put my finger exactly on why, but I LIKE this place! It's a small town. Everyone waves as they pass by, even the guy driving the garbage truck. You gotta love an RV park named 'Wacky West'! And, it's so conveniently located. The grocery store (IGA) is right across the street, and right on the same property is a movie theatre. We've been wanting to see 'Day After Tomorrow' since it came out over a month ago. Well, it was playing here - and we actually stayed up late enough to see it! Then, passing right by the back side of the RV park is the 'Cowboy Trail'. Where they took an abandoned railroad track and made a trail out of it. Hey, Emily, this trail's not even in the 'Rails-to-Trails' book you gave us and it's pretty cool. We really do have to check out some more of them. I didn't take my camera with us when we went walking this morning ... darn! AND, there are rivers for kayaking and waterfalls for viewing - lots of canoe and kayak outfitters around. I'd like to come back here someday. But, time to go now. We have a big day ahead crossing into South Dakota and visiting the Badlands Nat'l Park. Facts and Stats: Current Park: Wacky West, Valentine, Nebraska Site cost per night: $10 (w Passport America) Nights at last camp: 1 Travel time: 4.5 hours Miles: 242 Weather: Gorgeous, clear and sunny, 68 degrees

No comments: