Monday, April 27, 2020

I'm so happy to see a NEW Blogger

I've been keeping this blog on Blogger since May of 2003, and I've written nearly 2,000 posts. I can't think of any web-based computer product that has been around anywhere near as long. My first experience with the web was with CompuServe and Netscape, neither of which exist now. Well, CompuServe actually does exist, but it was originally sold to AOL in 1997, when I stopped using it. 

Blogger is owned by Google which is famous for killing off products. The only way to know if a product is still in Google's good graces is to see that they're making changes to it, updating it. Blogger has been wonderfully stable, with very few changes over the years. That makes it a wonderful product to use, it is worrisome to think that Google may stop supporting it. So, when I noticed the "try the new Blogger" button. It made me very happy. 


Not only would I miss Blogger terribly, but GeeksOnTour has taught many other people to keep their personal journals using Blogger. Some of them still post nearly every day, like Rick and Kathy Rouseau  or Sue Hepler with her Palm Creek Update blog. and others use it as their annual letter, generally posting once/year like Roxie (don't you think that's brilliant?!) Then, there are clubs who we encouraged to use Blogger.  

I can't say that I see any important new features in the New Blogger - but I'm just happy to see that Google Is working on it. That means the Blogger platform is alive and well.
Here's a video I made about how to use the New Blogger.



2 comments:

Rick and Kathy Rousseau said...

Thanks for the Shout Out. It is always appreciated.
While many have complained about Blogger in the past the only problems we've had were caused by our WiFi Connection or a few glitches on my part in our early days. Those same people that have complained about Blogger at the time used other platforms that are no longer around. Guess what the Naysayers are using today.
Thanks again for teaching us this wonderful means of opening our lives up not only to our Family but the many Friends we have made since its inception and readers from around the globe.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.

Hitchitch said...

I loved CompuServe and STILL use Netscape 7.2 Composer to build my web pages. Still works great in Win 10. Does everything I want it to do.
Can't imagine trying to convert all the pages over to another program.